Over the last few months I have been adding features to the Android MetaWatch Manager app, based on Craig Oliver’s excellent work.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the extra features in the “rm” fork.
- Overhauled UI - it no longer hides everything in menus.
- Theme Support- all the widget graphics can be user-customised, or you can drop in a ready made theme.
- Widgets on Analog Watches- Analog watch owners aren’t second class citizens any more!
- New Widget framework and Widget setup screen - Users can customise their Idle screen to show the widgets they care about, and display multiple pages of widgets, switched between using the top right button on the digital watch.
There are also lots of additional widgets - Moon phase, phone battery info, calendar appointments, four day weather forecasts, and much more.
- Quick dial directly from your watch - The Actions app gives you a quick menu of useful functionality - dial a contact straight into speakerphone.
- Picture Widgets - personalise your watch with a hand drawn scrawl of your own!
- Geolocation for the weather using Weather Underground or Google’s weather API.
- Improved SMS messages that stay open until the bottom right button is pressed to dismiss them. Longer messages can be scrolled using the top and middle right buttons.
- Send to Watch. Using the built-in Android sharing feature, text from applications such as Springpad can be shared to the watch, displaying as a sticky scrollable notification. Keep your shopping list on your wrist, so that you don’t have to keep reaching into your pocket for your phone!
- Enhanced Media control. Media controls get their own screen, showing the currently playing track. Extra options add support for other music players, such as Winamp, and stock music players on many phones. New key configuration means that the LED button is no longer disabled. Now available on Analog watches too!
- Caller photos on the incoming call notification (if available in your contacts.)
- Better K-9 integration. The unread mail widget can now optionally display your unread email count from K-9 mail. Also notifications from K-9 tell you the account and folder that the mail is from.
- Notify My Android integration. All of your NMA notifications will show up on the watch, so you can get notifications from many different web apps, or services like Growl or Snarl from your desktop.
- Option to automatically light up the screen when a notification comes in.
- And many other tweaks, optimisations and modifications!
The latest version can be found here along with the source on github. My Todo list is shared on Springpad.